forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: plugins possible output?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:33:16 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> scott hutinger wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have a clue about the entire architecture, and need to read a
>>> bunch of docs.  But thought the plugins might allow for output to
>>> different formats.  So if a text-only plugin for output was made,
>>> would this allow (with more functionality added) to have plain text
>>> for browsers such as lynx?
>>

>> You got it :-)
>

> Cool :-)   I was looking at trying to add some accessibility, but things
> started looking a bit hazey at the first item I was looking at.  I'm a
> bit uncertain about the transform stage etc...  It looked like
> modifications/additions that were not a good idea at all started coming
> to mind.

If you want to improve Forrest but don't know how (after having searched
the docs and the mailing lists), just ask for directions, we are here to
help and we need more developers ;-)

>  What about runtime
> input/output?  Would that require another architecture, or would that
> fit within a plugin?  Possibly in some strange not intended way.  I
> think if one looks at publishing, it could really mean runtime
> input/output.  Or is that a moot point?
> Possibly add an i/o plugin in the future?

I'm not 100% certain what you mean here. Do you mean dynamic input of
data, from something like a piece of machinery with sensors? If you do
then you have me excited, I have exactly that use case. I think it can
be done as plugins, but I'm not due to start on that particular work
until January.

>> Things are still new in the plugin world so if you have questions just
>> fire away.
>>
> Hmm, I think I best read all I can for a couple days first :-)  I think
> the plugins made everything (or almost everything) wide open!

Well it may seem that way. In fact Forrest already had all the
cusomisation capabilities in there. What plugins have done is made it
much more accessible. There is no longer a need to trawl through
thousands of lines of xmap files to figure out how to do something.

Ross