forrest-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: plugins possible output?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:06:07 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> scott hutinger wrote:
>
>> I don't have a clue about the entire architecture, and need to read a
>> bunch of docs.  But thought the plugins might allow for output to
>> different formats.  So if a text-only plugin for output was made,
>> would this allow (with more functionality added) to have plain text
>> for browsers such as lynx?
>

> You got it :-)

Cool :-)   I was looking at trying to add some accessibility, but things
started looking a bit hazey at the first item I was looking at.  I'm a
bit uncertain about the transform stage etc...  It looked like
modifications/additions that were not a good idea at all started coming
to mind.

> There is already a text output plugin, but it produces plain text
> rather than HTML optimised for browsers. On a similar line I would
> really like to see an output plugin for generation of pages optimised
> for PDA screens.

Yes, pda screens, and whatever else one wants :-).  What about runtime
input/output?  Would that require another architecture, or would that
fit within a plugin?  Possibly in some strange not intended way.  I
think if one looks at publishing, it could really mean runtime
input/output.  Or is that a moot point?
Possibly add an i/o plugin in the future?

>> What about a plugin that would output errors (such as a bobby check)
>> somewhere or another
>

> That is a cool idea, in fact it is really easy to implement since the
> bobby check is an online service, although it would be pretty unfair
> of us to hammer their server. Is there any Open Source projects
> providing code to do this?

Yes, I did notice http://waizilla.mozdev.org/, which the source code is
a web page only currently.

>> Or would that be within the validation phase of the build?
>

> It is part of validation not publishing. However, you can think of it
> like compiling a java application. During development we compile with
> the Debug option on. For release we complie with the optimisation on
> (no debug code). In this case we could produce compliance reports
> during the development stages of a site and turn them off for
> publication.
>
>>  Meaning some other method needs to be performed?  Probably after I
>> read a bunch of docs and code it would be a bit more clear to myself...
>

> If you want to have a go at any of these great ideas the best place to
> start is
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/howto/howto-buildPlugin.xml?view=markup

> Things are still new in the plugin world so if you have questions just
> fire away.

Hmm, I think I best read all I can for a couple days first :-)  I think
the plugins made everything (or almost everything) wide open!

thanks,
scott