forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: plugins possible output?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:01:29 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:
> I don't have a clue about the entire architecture, and need to read a
> bunch of docs.  But thought the plugins might allow for output to
> different formats.  So if a text-only plugin for output was made, would
> this allow (with more functionality added) to have plain text for
> browsers such as lynx?

You got it :-)

There is already a text output plugin, but it produces plain text rather
than HTML optimised for browsers. On a similar line I would really like
to see an output plugin for generation of pages optimised for PDA screens.

> What about a plugin that would output errors (such as a bobby check)
> somewhere or another

That is a cool idea, in fact it is really easy to implement since the
bobby check is an online service, although it would be pretty unfair of
us to hammer their server. Is there any Open Source projects providing
code to do this?

> Or would that be within the validation phase of
> the build?

It is part of validation not publishing. However, you can think of it
like compiling a java application. During development we compile with
the Debug option on. For release we complie with the optimisation on (no
debug code). In this case we could produce compliance reports during the
development stages of a site and turn them off for publication.

>  Meaning some other method needs to be performed?  Probably
> after I read a bunch of docs and code it would be a bit more clear to
> myself...

If you want to have a go at any of these great ideas the best place to
start is
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/howto/howto-buildPlugin.xml?view=markup

Things are still new in the plugin world so if you have questions just
fire away.

Ross