forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: code vs. talk
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:02:52 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> I was in #kde-devel yesterday and saw the title was "development happens
> in CVS, we discuss politics here".
>
> We've been doing a lot of talk lately here (more than I have time to
> read, personally).  Our policy is "commit then review" and I think we
> need to do that a lot more.  Non-committers can submit patches.  And
> that would be great, because that's the biggest step to becoming a
> committer, and we'd like to have more :-)  So just go ahead and do
> something; feel free to "stomp on people's toes", if there's problems
> we'll fix the code and evolve the code.

I agree that we need to do more "commit then review".
However, please be sure that the changes do not break
the build system because this prevents other people
working on the codebase. Do 'build test' first.

> Certainly talking here about big changes is good, but if nobody's
> planning on following it up directly with code, what's the point?

Because some issues need discussion before the developer
can prepare the patch and this lets the rest of us
know what the plan is.

There is a trade-off.

This "patch-then-review" process needs to be qualified.
Developers need to be sure to provide a clear log message
to accompany the patch, so that we all know the purpose
and the consequences. Also add documentation where
possible. Then, if it is really necessary, we can
discuss later.

--David