forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] First Forrest 1.0 spec document primer
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:08:37 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> SVN is not working ATM so I have copied my first draft of a Forrest
>> 1.0 spec document here:
>>
>>  http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/Forrest%201_0.html
>>
>> It's intended to be copied as-is in the xodcs dir and automatically
>> generated, and it's edited using OpenOffice 1.1.3.
>>
>> Still need to understand the numbering and URI scheme they use in w3c.
>> It would be cool to somehow have a 'spec' plugin that helps writing
>> w3c-like specs <hint,hint;nudge,nudge>
>>
>> I still have to add the loads of stuff that is missing to the outline,
>> but if someone wants to beat me to it (not going to work on it for at
>> least half a day), (s)he's welcome :-)
>>

> Having a 1.0 doc like this implies that this is that Forrest *must* look
> exactly like this and nothing else for our 1.0 release.  I think we
> should title this a "dream document" or a "vision".  It's great to have
> goals in mind and a direction to head, but I still see forrest as an
> evolving project.  I've seen lots of new unexpected changes and features
> in the last year and a half and I don't think we're ready to set
> anything in concrete.

I understand your concerns, but the definition of a first public working
draft, which is the status Nicola Ken gave this document includes:

"Purpose: The publication of the First Public Working Draft is a signal
to the community to begin reviewing the document."

This definition is linked to from the document.

Ross