forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Selective PDF: Generating Site.xml (and tabs.xml)
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:53:15 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> RG> I have two responses to this:
>
> RG> Firstly, if we create a generator that reads the directory structure and
> RG> generates the site.xml and tabs.xml file as suggested above then there
> RG> is no need to write anything for Eclipse. Simply configure the existing
> RG> resource editor to only display the relevant files and you have your
> RG> editor.
>
> I'm not quite sure what resource editor your are talking about? Pls
> give me a hint.

The resource editor in Eclipse is the standard view for
navigating/adding files etc. Nothing special, the one you normally work
with.

> Important differences to just scanning directory structure are:
 >
> - ability to move each file of a directory to the desired location in
>   my menu as opposed to its place in a given directory sort order.
> - ability to administrate a label that is not necessarily the titel of
>   the file (if it even has one)
> - further on: the ability to include other types or ressources that
>   are not reflexted in a file.

For all these you need the editor in Burrokeet. It isn't a site.xml
editor (uses IMSManifest). Unfortunately it is not as simple a taking
the code from that project and using it here as the editor requries a
defined  schema (which site.xml doesn't have). However, we are donating
as much code from that project to the Eclipse plugin in our SVN (for
example, the create project and create XDoc wizards).

> - optional, but very useful: the ability to integrate into a framework
>   such as eclipse where an action in my outline allows my to open the
>   relevant file in a useful (that is dtd-aware) editor.

We have that too (in the Eclipse plugin), but to get it we are using
code donated by IBM that is not yet a part of the Eclipse CVS (milestone
date for inclusion is mid december).

Right now the editor is an XML editor, but this is exactly why I built
the htmlArea WYSIWYG plugin.

Ross