forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Selective PDF: Generating Site.xml (and tabs.xml)
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:48:24 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>>[RT] we should have a generator which produces a tab.xml based on each
>>>directory (title according to dir name), and site.xml provided based on
>>>exactly what files are in the directory (maybe limit to .xml files) and
>>>pull the title from the document.
>>>[/RT]
>

> RG> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-328 does something like this, but
> RG> it is an ANT script rather than a generator. An internal plugin that
> RG> does this if no site.xml file is found is a great idea.
>
> I'd like to suggest a different approach:
>
> Provide an piece of software (preferably Java-based, even better an
> Eclipse-plugin) that administrates site.xml as an outline and
> generates site.xml and tabs.xml on saving.

I have two responses to this:

Firstly, if we create a generator that reads the directory structure and
generates the site.xml and tabs.xml file as suggested above then there
is no need to write anything for Eclipse. Simply configure the existing
resource editor to only display the relevant files and you have your
editor.

Actually, you know this is a really good idea. I could knock this
together fairly quickly using the ANT script supplied above. Not a
dynamic generation process, but halfway there. Keep an eye on the
Eclipse plugin in our SVN, I have a feeling I may hack this out.

Secondly, for a more powerful solution take a look at
http://www.burrokeet.org which is developing an eclipse based
application that allows the graphica editing of Content Packages that
use an IMSManifest file instead of site.xml and tabs.xml.

<snip/>

> Hope I'm making myself clear enough?

So clear you changed my todo list priority ;-)

Ross