forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: how to redirect our website changes
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:53:32 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>>Redirecting to the latest stable version makes sense to me, but it means
>>we have to update the .htaccess file whenever we release a new version.
>

> Well you could maintain a symlink called 'current' and have the
> .htaccess point to that. Then you just need to maintain the symlink. A
> lot of sites (especially ftp) use this (eg mozilla, kernel.org etc).
> Though since you still need to maintain that symlink, I'm not sure how
> helpful that might be, but just a suggestion.

I originally had this idea too, but it was suggested on an earlier
thread that that would dilute google rankings and make things a bit more
  confusing (bookmarks to current v. a certain release, etc).

Another solution would be to redirect all such links back to a main
page, a page explaining the versions, or just let it 404.  I kind of
like this concept, but I don't know which would be best.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming