forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] plugin infrastructure
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:49:02 GMT

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El dom, 14-11-2004 a las 15:01, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>><snip/>

>>>Are we not mixing content (plugins) with style (skins) ?
>>
>>Yes, we are. We need to keep the idea of content plugins separate from
>>skin-plugins. I see these "nuggets" being provided by skin-plugins, not
>>by content plugins. Of course, a skin plugin may use a content-plugin to
>>render a nugget appropriately. That is, a skin-plugin that provides a
>>news nugget may use the feeder (content) plugin to generate the xdoc
>>from the RSS feed.
>>
>>Ross
>

> Yes that is what I actually was trying to say. Some plugins will deliver
> content that is only needed if the plugin is installed.

OK, now I get it. Lets call them content-plugins (works with the content
in a Forrest site) and skin-plugins (provides widgets to the skins for
navigational purposes, i.e. PDF Button).

So does this mean that all output content-plugins should be required to
provide a skin-plugin that allows a button (or other suitable UI widget)
to be included in the skinned site?

If so how does it do that?

 > Like the feeder.
 > The feeder may provide a new "button" rss-feed (similar to the pdf
 > button).

[OT] Actually feeder is a content-plugin, it reads RSS files and
converts them to XDoc, it does not generate them.

Ross