forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Selective PDF
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:39:26 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> Is it not easier to define an attribute such as "output" and add it to
> elements in site.xml and tabs.xml. The values can be on error more of the
> following: output="all,ps,rtfpdf,pod"

Yes, this is a good idea, this is similar to the meta-data idea but it
feels like a more logical place to put it.

The only problem I see is that it requires us to specify when we *do*
want something, rather than when we *don't*. This is a problem for two
reasons, firstly it is more likely that we will want the various output
forms (and so we are increasing the typing required in most cases),
secondly, it requires us to know in advance what output formats will be
available.

This latter point is relevant if we consider sharing documentation
created with Forrest. Say I want to use a site you have built, but I
also want to provide SpeechML versions. I have to actually edit you
site.xml file to do this, but I can't because I don't have write access.

(note, this is still a problem with each of the suggestions I made)

The former point is easily addressed by specifying that all output
formats are provided if the output attribute is not set.

WDOT?

Ross