forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@onnadayr.ca>
Subject Re: Why are there two branches for the forrest site?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:31:24 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Now I'm trying to understand why site-author and doc-author are two
> separate branches in sv? And how do they become one site in the end?
> Manual work?

Hi Ferdinand,

I'm not sure what you mean by "site-author and doc-author being two
separate branches in sv".

I've just read the thread that Ross referenced in his reply and it looks
like the "site-author" directory contains documentation that applies
generally to Forrest as a whole.  Try doing a "forrest run" when you are
cd'd to the site-author directory and then point your browser to
http://localhost:8888/.  This should show you documentation that applies
to the Forrest project itself.

The "docs-author" directory applies to a particular release of Forrest.
  If you have the current svn all up to date, the documentation in here
applies to Forrest version 0.7-dev.

If my understanding of the thread is correct, the reason this was done
was to be able to maintain documentation on the forrest.apache.org
website that applies to previously released versions of Forrest as well
as documentation for the current version.

As you may have noticed, the latest version of Forrest is substantially
different from even the 0.6 release.

The forrest.apache.org will be then an amalgamation of the site-author
docs along with the docs-author for each official release and the
current development docs.

How that amalgamation is done, I don't know that at the moment.

> Is there a file that describes the what all the branches in sv are
> good for? Right now I'm browsing them without much understanding where
> to look for what.

Hmmmm .... don't know the answer to that either.

Hope this helps,

--
rick@onnadayr.ca
IT Firefighting and Prevention