forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] skin/plugin packaging & versioning formats
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:29:23 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>
>>> We should look at how eclipse handles plugins and how firefox &
>>> thunderbird handle extensions and themes.  Both allow for automatic
>>> updates too.
>>>
>>> If we can't borrow formats exactly, we can at least borrow concepts
>>> (e.g.
>>> how they dealt with eclipse version v. plugin version and compatibility
>>> between the two)>
>>

>> +1 I am fairly familiar with eclipses plugin.xml and unless there is
>> any objection I will start moving out plugin.xml format to mirror that.
>

> I'm ok with any format, but Won't users probably be confused and try to
> install Forrest plugins in Eclipse? Or is this maybe even an asset and
> not a problem?

It's just an XML format and I'm not suggesting we use the same DTD, just
the parts we need. For example, we need plugin versioning for
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-343

My reasoning (and I believe Dave's) is that the Eclipse format has been
tested in a large number of environments with a massive variety of
plugins. We should "borrow concepts" from them.

Ross

Ross