forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: website documentation version
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:31:15 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Summary of the discussion so far. None of it is yet agreed.
>> Please revise, if needed.
>>
>> The generated docs come from each separate release branch.
>

>  From the 'tag' I suppose, as a tag denotes a release (it seems you mean
> the same thing). Plus one for the trunk.

 From a branch.  E.g., we need to fix the documentation at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#images  We will do so
on the forrest_06 branch and the 0.6 webpages will be built from the
latest version of that branch.  If we do it from a tag, then we have to
wait until 0.6.1 is  released for that documentation change to get online.

>> The top-level docs are in a separate repository for
>> global things like the homepage, the example sites,
>> the mailing list and other community-type info.
>

> Hmmm... I want to also keep the top-level docs that were used for a
> release...

Which ones, and why?

>> Some docs (faq.* and build.*) would move into the
>> version-specific at docs/faq.html etc.
>
>  >

>> The branch docs have a warning banner.
>

> With a like to the latest released docs.

The trunk docs would need a warning, too.  Users of the stable release
shouldn't be mislead by them.  But I don't want warnings everywhere,
just make it clear in the project title of those pages that it is Apache
Forrest 0.6, or Apache Forrest 0.7-dev

>> Do we keep the old past release docs online forever?
>

> Good question. IMHO we should keep the latest release docs plus the
> trunk docs. More than that can make indexing servers mix up the pages.
>
>> The current ASF publishing is still done by storing the
>> generated docs in SVN repositories. This might change later
>> to use a staging server and rsync, or even a live server
>> as Cocoon is now contemplating. Not yet.
>>
>> --------------------
>> The web space ...
>> --------------------

>  > --------------------
>  > The SVN space ...
>  > --------------------

Hrm, to publish each version's webpages, generated from the source in
the appropriate branch/trunk is not currently possible if it is all one
site.  If we do base the webpages from the documentation in branches &
trunk, it would probably be best to make each one a whole site.

web space:
-----------
f.a.o/dev -> a whole forrest site (what we have now at f.a.o)
f.a.o/0.6 -> a whole forrest site, from the 0.6 branch
f.a.o/stable -> alias for 0.6
f.a.o/index.html -> a quick intro paragraph, and links to the
subdirectories OR a redirect to /stable

web files stored in svn:
---------
same structure as they have in the web space, in svn://forrest/site

documentation src files in svn:
--------
svn://forrest/trunk/src/documentation/content -> used to generate files
at f.a.o/dev
svn://forrest/branches/forrest_06_branch/src/documentation/content  ->
used to generate files at f.a.o/0.6

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming