forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: website documentation version
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:36:18 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>

>> Cocoon has documentation divided per-release.  Should we do the same
>> between 0.6 and SVN?
>>
>> Changes are becoming quite significant between the two already, and
>> even though 0.6 comes with it's own documentation, I think most people
>> will go to the website to find documentation for it.  Also we need to
>> have a place for fixed and improved 0.6 documentation to be available.
>

> Agreed.
>
> Since most if not all project will be doing this, how will Forrest
> tackle it for them? Some have asked for a version to be included near
> the 'published' stuff, is that all there is to it?

I think we need to have multiple versions of the documentation available
online, not just one.

By "we", I mean the our project website.  The forrest software could
support something like this by looking at SVN or CVS branches, but I
don't think it's a high priority right now.

We could just divide our docs like this:

xdocs/
   *.xml (stays, since it's project-related, not release-related)
   0.6/
     docs/
     howto/
   0.7-dev/
     docs/
     howto/

faq.xml should move within the release directories, since it's
information is related to a release

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming