forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: A question of architecture? [was] Re: [RT] How to move the skins into a plugin? Plans for leather-dev/corium
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:45:30 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> The definition of what constitutes a plugin is blurred as are many aspects of
> the architecture. Development of forrest has been on functionality and
> architecture is very flat.

> As a Technical Author, I would suggest that the forrest documentation set
> include the following information set (information architecture). Some of
> this already exists:

I am in full agreement that Forrest needs to have better documentation,
I'm not in quite as full agreement that the attention to architecture is
as flat as it may seem. For developers who have been around for some
time, "documentation" is their vague memories of past discussions
coupled with the mail list archives. This is a barrier to entry for new,
and returning, developers.

The problem is made worse by the fact that once one understands "the
Forrest architecture" one no longer has any interest in writing
documentation. Speaking personally I get paid for software not
documents, I am not defending this position, simply acknowledging the
problem. Fortunately, all of the developers we have are currently pretty
good at writing (at least basic) documents when committing new code, bur
there is always lots of room for improvement.

We welcome *any* contribution to the documents, they are as valuable to
the project as the code itself, even more so if we want to attract new
developers and not lose time explaining things over and over on this list.

View raw message