forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <webmaes...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Using CSS to display/hide subnav links (was Re: slightly different navigation)
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:24:47 GMT
On Nov 19, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Clay Leeds wrote:
> I seem to remember something that would show/hide via click, but
> perhaps it was :hover. By hovering over the 'heading', one could
> certainly show a nested sub-div (similar to a DHTML menu)... Would
> that be 'interesting' for anyone?
>
> Taking a page out of Eric Meyer's 'book':
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
>
> For example, take the Related Projects 'section' of the Forrest home
> page. I'm thinking along the lines of:
>
> #menu_1.2 {
>   display: none;
> }
>
> And then either do a pop-out menu to the right:
> #menu_1.2Title:hover #menu_1.2 {
>   display: block;
>   left: 150px
> }
>
> ...or do a pop-out menu in the current location:
> #menu_1.2Title:hover #menu_1.2 {
>   display: block;
> }
>
> We'd still need to come up with a solution to identifying (in the
> siteNav) when someone is on the page

...to continue on that line of thought, as part of the transformation
process, I think forrest needs to identify the 'selected' page (it
appears to do this now, but I don't know how... could someone point me
in the right direction for this).

BTW, one 'nice' feature (?) of the current "click to hide/show"
navigation system is that it apparently defaults to OPEN if Javascript
is turned off (nice work, Thorsten--at least I think that's your
handiwork). I definitely prefer to be able to see all the links, all
the time, so I want to make this permanent for the FOP site. No sense
hiding the navigation from everyone IMO...

Unfortunately, I don't know how to PATCH it so the getmenu.js
javascript file isn't loaded or I'd provide a PATCH. As I mentioned
before, configurability of this menu hide/show would be nice to add to
skinconf.xml, and I would recommend the default is to *not* load
skin/getmenu.js.

As for the CSS-based 'pop-out' menu system I described in my previous
POST, that is something I could spend some time on. I'll give it some
thought now that I have erm... more free time.

Web Maestro Clay
--
<webmaestro@mac.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet