forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Using CSS to display/hide subnav links (was Re: slightly different navigation)
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:15:00 GMT
This thread has been moved to dev@forrest.apache.org...

On Nov 19, 2004, at 4:42 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> On Nov 18, 2004, at 3:50 PM, THOMAS BENOIT wrote:
>>> De: Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>

>> It would suit my needs for some sites (particularly where I have
>> fewer pages). It wouldn't be good for the FOP web site, but for web
>> sites which have smaller documentation needs it would be great!
>>> I need a 2 or 3 level menu. So the collapsing menu suits well,
>>> excepts
>>> for the problem described above.
>>> Too bad the tree menu is controlled by a javascript script.
>>> Has someone made some modifications to the basic skins so that we are
>>> not restricted by a simple javascript collapsing menu (I think some
>>> modification to the XSLT files should do the trick). The idea is not
>>> have to click twice to display the intro text of a category.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help,
>>>
>>> Thomas
>> I would be prefer it be done in CSS, if possible (i.e., without
>> javascript).
>
> Patches from either of you would be great :-) (can this be done with
> Javascript, I'd love to see that solution)
>
> Ross

I seem to remember something that would show/hide via click, but
perhaps it was :hover. By hovering over the 'heading', one could
certainly show a nested sub-div (similar to a DHTML menu)... Would that
be 'interesting' for anyone?

Taking a page out of Eric Meyer's 'book':
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

For example, take the Related Projects 'section' of the Forrest home
page. I'm thinking along the lines of:

#menu_1.2 {
   display: none;
}

And then either do a pop-out menu to the right:
#menu_1.2Title:hover #menu_1.2 {
   display: block;
   left: 150px
}

...or do a pop-out menu in the current location:
#menu_1.2Title:hover #menu_1.2 {
   display: block;
}

We'd still need to come up with a solution to identifying (in the
siteNav) when someone is on the page

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>