forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: how to redirect our website changes
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:14:51 GMT

Dave Brondsema wrote:

DB> How should we set up our .htaccess file to redirect old links?

How about maintaining version-related docs as separate subtabs on the
documentation tab (named "Release 0.5", "Release 0.6" and so on).

That way users have easy access to the version they are currently
using but optionally also access versions that are not yet released.

Google would be OK since the links remain the same, but when opening a page
in version "Release 0.5", I'd immediately see that there are other
versions (tabs) to look at.

And, as far as I can tell, this would also allow us to do away with
the two branches of documentation and the need to amalgamate them for
each release as the versioned documentation could simply be managed as
different subdirectories of the main site.

--
Ferdinand Soethe