forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: website documentation version
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:49:04 GMT
On Nov 2, 2004, at 3:20 AM, David Crossley wrote:
> Summary of the discussion so far. None of it is yet agreed.
> Please revise, if needed.
>
> The generated docs come from each separate release branch.
>
> The top-level docs are in a separate repository for
> global things like the homepage, the example sites,
> the mailing list and other community-type info.
>
> Some docs (faq.* and build.*) would move into the
> version-specific at docs/faq.html etc.
>
> The branch docs have a warning banner.
>
> Do we keep the old past release docs online forever?
>
> The current ASF publishing is still done by storing the
> generated docs in SVN repositories. This might change later
> to use a staging server and rsync, or even a live server
> as Cocoon is now contemplating. Not yet.
>
> --------------------
> The web space ...
> --------------------
> /www/forrest.apache.org/
> ... the 'svn checkout' of svn://forrest/website/publish/
>
> /www/forrest.apache.org/0.6/
> ... the 'svn checkout' of svn://forrest/website-0.6/
>
> /www/forrest.apache.org/0.7/
> ... the 'svn checkout' of future svn://forrest/website-0.7/
>
> --------------------
> The SVN space ...
> --------------------
>
> Trying to separate it, so that developers can just work on
> the top-level and not need to checkout all the old docs too.
>
> svn://forrest/website/
>  publish/ ... generated global docs that are not version-specific
>       docs/ ... generated from current trunk.
>       howto/ .. generated from current trunk.
>       plugins/ ... descriptor and published plugins
>       skins/ ... descriptor and published skin packages
>  src/ ... the source for the top-level docs.
>      content/xdocs/
>      etc.
>
> svn://forrest/website-0.6/
> ... generated from 0.6 branch.
>  index.html
>  docs/index.html etc.
>  howto/index.html etc.
>
> svn://forrest/website-0.7/
> ... generated from future 0.7 branch.
>  index.html
>  docs/index.html etc.
>  howto/index.html etc.
> ---------------------
> trunk/site/ ... the current source
>            content/xdocs/
>            content/xdocs/docs/
> ---------------------

Speaking as an FOP committer, this sounds like a nice system. I think
we'll be OK with versions (0.20.5 vs. 1.0-Dev), but I'll need to think
about it more to determine how this affects us.

It may be too early to ask these questions, but...

Is anything really changing in the way Forrest will process
documentation (changes which need to be made for site.xml, tabs.xml,
skinconf.xml, forrest.properties, special *.xmap files, etc.)? Will
there be 'switches' or something to turn these features on/off?

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>