forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: smart update
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:48:21 GMT
Quoting Clay Leeds <cleeds@medata.com>:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 7:04 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Dave Brondsema wrote:
> >> Forrest cannot really know what the sources of files are.  I mean,
> >> often files are generated from a static xml file, but because we use
> >> Cocoon, people could have custom sitemaps which generate pages from a
> >> database, or people could use the RSS feeder plugin.  How could
> >> forrest know about  which files need to be re-rendered?
> >
> > True.
> >
> > We could implement a partial solution. Look for common source files
> > (*.xml), if they exist, and are newer then add the link to the
> > linkmap.html file. Any link for which we do not find a source file in
> > the project document space we would assume it is dirty and therefore
> > regenerate anyway.
> >
> > In most projects this would work for the vast majority of pages.
>
> And for when one needs only one file, the following command is nice:
>
> forrest -Dproject.start-uri=filename.html
>
> And if you need a couple more, you could just [Ctrl+C] and then change
> the filename.html...
>
> (BTW, does the above work for subfolders: forrest
> -Dproject.start-uri=samples/ihtml-sample.html? And does it work for
> generating PDF files?).

Yes.  Whatever URI you might use during forrest run will work here.

PDFs work fine, but because they have no links if you start with one (e.g.,
-Dproject.start-uri=myfile.pdf) the CLI will not traverse to other files.

One thing to note is that all the raw files are still copied.

I would like to see a feature of using Forrest to easily create just one
generated file.  Often times I have a .jspwiki file (for example) that I'd like
a quick PDF of.  With pluggable inputs & outputs, using forrest for one-time
conversions could be very handy.

> It might be nice to be able to pass more than one file, with a
> separator:
>
> forrest
> -Dproject.start-uri=compliance.html,compliance.html,samples/ihtml-
> sample.html,samples/ihtml-sample.pdf,index.html,index.pdf

This would require a change to the CLI's interface.  Already you can get such
functionality by adding <uris> to cli.xconf, but I don't think you can specify
multiple URIs on the commandline.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal