forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Why are there two branches for the forrest site?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:36:08 GMT
Quoting Rick Tessner <rick@onnadayr.ca>:

> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
> > Now I'm trying to understand why site-author and doc-author are two
> > separate branches in sv? And how do they become one site in the end?
> > Manual work?
>
> Hi Ferdinand,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "site-author and doc-author being two
> separate branches in sv".
>
> I've just read the thread that Ross referenced in his reply and it looks
> like the "site-author" directory contains documentation that applies
> generally to Forrest as a whole.  Try doing a "forrest run" when you are
> cd'd to the site-author directory and then point your browser to
> http://localhost:8888/.  This should show you documentation that applies
> to the Forrest project itself.
>
> The "docs-author" directory applies to a particular release of Forrest.
>   If you have the current svn all up to date, the documentation in here
> applies to Forrest version 0.7-dev.
>
> If my understanding of the thread is correct, the reason this was done
> was to be able to maintain documentation on the forrest.apache.org
> website that applies to previously released versions of Forrest as well
> as documentation for the current version.
>
> As you may have noticed, the latest version of Forrest is substantially
> different from even the 0.6 release.

Yep, that's right.

> The forrest.apache.org will be then an amalgamation of the site-author
> docs along with the docs-author for each official release and the
> current development docs.
>
> How that amalgamation is done, I don't know that at the moment.

Nobody does, because it hasn't been done yet!

> > Is there a file that describes the what all the branches in sv are
> > good for? Right now I'm browsing them without much understanding where
> > to look for what.
>
> Hmmmm .... don't know the answer to that either.
>
> Hope this helps,

docs-author and site-author are not different branches, just different
directories in the "trunk".  See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch04s07.html#svn-ch-4-sect-7.1 for a
description of branches and tags in SVN.  We use branches for backported fixes,
and new wild features.  Tags are "snapshots" of the code at certain points,
normally releases.  Trunk has the main development.

Are you looking for a description of the directories in trunk also?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal