forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build system
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:43:37 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
>  Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>>Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi:
>>>For Ant I am willing to help set it up in a way that it makes it easy to
>>>do the above multi-project. I see it as a must that we use a lib
>>>download system ALA Maven.
>
> Why is it a *must*?

:-)

OTOMH

1. It's not reasonable for a Maven user to have to redownload the libs
we use just because we don't use a repository

2. The downloaded jars can be shared easily between Forrest projects
easily without having to put them all in the classpath or having to
declare them by hand in the ant scripts

3. The downloaded jars can come from mirrors even for those tat use the
trunk

>>With my experience and understanding of maven, we would have to write plugins to
>>do what we want.  Our software is not a simple standard java package, since we
>>do a lot with cocoon, copyless issues, and skin/plugin fetching.  Since this is
>>so unique to our project, I don't think maven's standard build system will help
>>us much.
>
> I don't know much about Maven, but resonate with Dave's comments.
>
> Are there simple repository systems that we could use
> for the "lib download" aspect.
> e.g. Apache Depot http://incubator.apache.org/depot/

+1

>>Matching a standard directory structure is certainly good.  Not sure about
>>automatically downloading jars.  That could be good, but I don't see a real need
>>for it; things work fine how they are.
>>
>>Another alternative to consider is to use a real scripting language instead of
>>Ant to do our builds.  In my experience with skin fetching, ant simply isn't
>>designed to do the things we want to do.  I am not familiar with python, but I
>>think it would be a good candidate.
>
> Is Ant able to call a python script to do certain tasks?

Yup, embedded.

Now I can say that I'm fully +1 for using Ant. I wanted to be sure I
didn't step on other's toes by assuming it per default :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -