forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:37:00 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:
>>I think we have slightly different long term views of what may become a
>>plugin. Here are a few examples of possible plugins that are not
>>"content type classes":
>>
>>- Lenya Plugin
>>- Jetty launching code
>>- Tomcat launching code
>>- auto-deployment to a running Servlet engine
>
> Would we call these plugins at all?  They seem to me to be part of our build
> process, possibly using forrestbot.

I agree, they are not plugins in a strict sense...

Let's take as an example the inclusion of the last 3 commit logs of a
file in the file itself, as described in FOR-237 [1].

The 'includelog' plugin would necessarily have to take part in the build
process, as it has to pregenerate some content before the actual
Forrest-Cocoon engine start.

This same functionality can be used to add targets to the Forrest build,
like highlighted above. For example we could factor the Jetty stuff in
it's own plugin, as the code to do it will be there.

Note that could!=should.

As for should, I tend to agree that we should not do so, at least for
now, as these are part of the forrest *commands* (run, validate, etc),
and not an extension to these.

[1] http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-327

             - verba volant, scripta manent -