forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:07:21 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 12:11, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>>I can't imagine documenting in XHTML. Write in Docbook, Apache, TEI, your
>>>own format and transform to XHTML.
>>
>>hehehe... the web was born for documenting, and it started with html.
>>It's strange that now it's deemed unfit for documentation. :-)
>
> Yes. We moved to XML because HTML was terrible

Did we? Was this the reason? I disagree. (OT)

> and now we want to move back in
> that direction. NOOOO!!!! please, please. Why do we want to move back into
> using non-normative formats for storage of data and documents?

Non normative? HTML4 is a W3C recomendation. (OT)

> IMO it is best
> to stay in XML. The further away the data is from the presentation layers the
> better.

Wait, there is a misunderstanding here. Forrest already can use html as
input, but it strips out the presentation tags. HTML is not only
presentation, and the Document DTD is basically HTML without those tags.
If you look at XHTM2 it's more similar to DocumentDTD than others.

The real need of supporting html input is to support any editor and any
site already done out there, which makes Forrest *much* more powerful
and useful.

So, we will use XHTML and an internal format (internal does not mean
that the user has to use it, it's the intermediate format), and still
have plain vanilla html as a plugin.

>>As for 'write in... Apache', what is 'Apache'?
>
> The Document DTD and FAQ DTD etc.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -