forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:43:56 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 09:54, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>I disagree. It makes sense to have a resources dir as it makes sense to
>>have a src dir for a project. I don't want to mix actual resources with
>>conf info.
> I thought that the plug-in is a source. I read some discussion about
> relocation of the current plugins folder to the source.

You didn't get the point.

Proportions ->  1:2 = 5:10

resource dir : plugin = source dir : project

>>Theorically we could have it the other way around:
>>  plugins/
>>     Docbook/
>>        ** all the stuff now in resources
>>        FOR-INF/ the configuration files
>>but it makes it a royal PITA to reference things backwards.
> Yes you are right, so why not just put custom layers into the root of the
> plugin/[plugin-name]/

Look above.

>>If you favor to use the simplest thing, in this case it's simpler not to
>>deviate from preceding behaviour.
> Hmmm. Even now I find myself drilling down to get to pieces. Whethe ryou use a
> GUI or shell the shorter the paths the easier is is to remember the map of
> the project and sources.

I understand your point, do you understand mine? A shorter path is
definately not more important than code decisions.

>>>2. IMO plug-in is an object that adds a content type class,
>>>configuration, and resources to forrest. I would actually change the
>>>directory name from plugins to frameworks.
>>-1 It simply does not make sense. A framework is something used to build
>>upon (IOW white box), while a plugin is the exact opposite.
> Yes, and build upon it we do.

No we don't. We *use* it, not build upon it. *We* drive DocBook, not the
other way around. I think you don't understand how the word 'framework'
is commonly used in our context.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -