forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:43:46 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 04:11, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>How would Forrest be able to skin these files if it does not conform to
>>the internal structure of Forrest. All we could do would be to embed the
>>output XHTML, we would lose all skinning features. Since the whole point
>>of Forrest is to produce consistent output from various input formats
>>wouldn't this method prevent Forrest from achieving it's goals?
>
> I don't believe so. We need to devise a way to skin any output that originates
> from the transformations provided by another framework.

True.

> Does anyone think this can work?

Well, since Forrest can skin html and most outputs will be html, it
should not be a problem IIUC.

For example, to do DocBook we could simply use ready-made stylesheets to
output to html and skin that, or make our own stylesheets, whichever
comes out better or is easier to maintain.

Is this what you mean? If so I agree, and it can already be done now,
probably with just a couple of tweaks.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -