forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-264) forrest seed does not create the resources folder
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:47:02 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> issues@cocoondev.org wrote:
>>
>>> The following comment has been added to this issue:
>>>      Author: Nicola Ken Barozzi
>>>     Created: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:33 AM
>>>        Body:
>>> Actually it's the other way around :-)
>>> The resources folder is something that should not be used anymore,
>>> and the fact that the PDF generation expects images there is a bug.
>>> Thanks for reporting, it's important to remember.
>>
>> Really?  See http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#images

Oops, another documentation bug.

>> What is the recommended approach for images then?  There's also
>> support for a 'my-images' directory within the xdocs section (not
>> raw), which is undocumented and probably not used much.

I didn't know of it myself... what is it about?

> Would it make sense to have some system to separate images based on
> resolution (or output target) due to the fact that PDF output warrants
> higher resolution images for printing?

Multi-resolution source images? Cool.

> Possiblilities I see:
>
> Separate Directories/Same Filename:
>   (which may make it harder to manage each image)
> - src/documentation/resources/images/ (images used for PDF output)
> - src/documentation/content/xdocs/images/ (images used for HTML output)
>
> Same Directory/Slightly Different Filename:
> - src/documentation/resources/images/screenshot_001.jpg (web/html version)
> - src/documentation/resources/images/screenshot_001_pdf.jpg (pdf version)

I'd propose something like this:

Same Directory/Slightly Different Filename II:
- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001.jpg (original version)

if the above is present, use the following images, if themselves
present, for a better output:

- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001-print.jpg
- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001-screen.jpg
- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001-palmtop.jpg
- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001-phone.jpg
- src/documentation/*/screenshot_001-bwphone.jpg

Alternatively Cocoon can be used to scale down the image where needed.
We could specify a max-width for web pages.

> Thoughts? Eventually, I'd like to come up with a solution to the
> 'screenshot' dilemma, where if a screenshot is too wide for the page,
> Cocoon/Forrest would shrink it to fit a default size (640x480, 800x600,
> or 1024x768, etc.), but provide a link/fork to view the full-size image.

I have the same problem with SVG (source and pnged), we could use a
similar system.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -