forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] SVN restructure for subprojects
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:18:47 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> See FOR-233 also.
>
> I propose:
>
> Create everything (including Forrest itself) as a subdirectory of our existing
> "forrest".
> It would look like this:
>
> forrest/
>   site/ (unchanged)
>   dist/ (unchanged)
>   forrest/ (pushed down)

</nitpicking>
   It's confusing to have a forrest/forrest directory, why
   not forrest/core or forrest/forrestcore?
</nitpicking>

>     trunk/
>     branches/
>     tags/
>   eclipsePlugin/ (moved)

</nitpicking>
   There is confusion between forrest/plugins and eclipsePlugin, as they
   both have 'plugin' in it, and there micht also actually be a plugin
   for eclipse formatted docs in the future
</nitpicking>

>     trunk/
>     branches/
>     tags/
>   xxePlugin/ (moved)

</nitpicking>
   Same as eclipsePlugin...
</nitpicking>

>     TBT
>   forrestbot/ (moved)
>     TBT
>   forrestbar/ (moved)
>     TBT
>   plugins/ (new)
>     OpenOffice.org/
>       TBT
>     DocBook4.3/
>       TBT

There is a problem though... what will happen with the copyless stuff?

I would see this as easier to use and maintain (given cheap copies):

forrest/
   branches/**
   tags/**
   trunk/
     bin/
     site/
     dist/
     forrestcore/
     forrestbot/
     forrestbar/
     forresteclipse/
     forrestxxe/
     forrestplugins/
      OpenOffice.org/
      DocBook4.3/

Notice the 'bin' directory where users would think of finding it, as a
single thing to add to the system path variable. the trunk would become
the new FORREST_HOME

Also, this would mean that we have to rethink our build system.

  - Please no flame wars -

As I see it we have two options: Ant and Maven.

For Ant I am willing to help set it up in a way that it makes it easy to
do the above multi-project. I see it as a must that we use a lib
download system ALA Maven.

Other than this, I'm really open to any sensible technical comment on
this, along with proposals in helping out.

Again:

  - Please no flame wars -

(it's also a reminder for me)

> We'll definitely need an approving vote before we do this :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -