forrest-dev mailing list archives

From thorsten <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Search engines
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:07:10 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> thorsten wrote:
>
>> I would like to implement a "better" search engine script.
>>
>> The script should be:
>> a) page specific
>> b) extensible
>>

> <snip/>
>
>> Each of this topics would have different search provider.
>> e.g. open source
>

> <snip/>
>
>> b) The user should be able to extend the standard search engines by
>> adding the neccessary information into a xml file. We would just add
>> some examples that we actually need for our site.
>>
>> *How it should work*
>> We need the following components:
>> I) site.xml - Here we can add the hooks for each site which search
>> engine should be used. e.g.
>> <todo label="Todo" href="todo.html" description="Todo List"
>> searchType="os" searchEngine="all"/>
>> This would offer the *all* search engines from the categorie *os*.
>> <todo label="Todo" href="todo.html" description="Todo List"
>> searchType="os" searchEngine="marc, eyebrowse"/>
>> This would offer the marc and the eyebrowse search engines from the
>> categorie *os*.
>

> So, what does the user see? Is it a text box for search terms and a drop
> down box with options for each of the available engines?

Yeah. The example of eclipse site is really the one I had in mind when
writting this RT.

>> I hope you got the idea and WDYT?
>

> I like the sound of this. One of the things I really like about the
> eclipse site is that you can search on a variety of "levels". That is
> you can search the whole site, just the docs, just the API's, just
> mailing lists, specific mailing list etc. (see
> http://www.eclipse.org/search/search.cgi). It seems you are suggesting
> the same kind of idea but with the added benefit of being able to
> customise the options in each section of the site, so in the developer
> section we default to searching the API (for example).

Jupp, you understand me 100%. Nice. :)

> I can see this going further in that a site could use Mozilla search
> plugins (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html). Have you considered
> using the Mozilla format? (docs are at
> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/deepdocs.html)

I just had a look on some basic examples on that site and yes I think I
will use the format. Looks good and why reinventing the wheel all the
time. ;-)

> Ross

Thanks Ross for that feedback again.

Kind regards