forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: xml-fop Build Failed
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:24:06 GMT
On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:42 PM, David Crossley wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> And now onto the response to your question.
>> ========================
>>
>> Instructions for updating xml-fop are on the Development tab's > Doc
>> Mgmt page [1]:
>> 1. Developer commits code to FOP repository
>> 2. Forrestbot "refresh". Automatically done every six hours.
>>     Can be manually refreshed by authorized users at the
>>     Forrestbot Web Interface.
>> 3. Forrestbot "publish". Always done manually at the
>>     Forrestbot Web Interface.
>> 4. Automatic Live Site Update every six hours (midnight, 6am,
>>     noon, 6pm Pacific time).
>
> I see. I wondered that a while ago, but you must have
> missed my question. I would suggest going to the manual
> build method that i described below for "xml-commons".
> It could be a long time before we can update the Forrestbot.
> We are waiting for one of the new Apache servers to come
> on-line.

Glad you asked the question as it appears we (the FOP Team) need to
either update our Doc Mgmt page, or temporarily 'double' update the web
site manually: 1) vi over SSH updating of HTML; 2) xdocs/*.xml.

Speaking of which, it sounds like Apache Forrest-0.6 is not yet live on
the server which serves <http://xml.apache.org/fop/>.

I don't understand what you meant when you said 'I wondered that a
while ago, but you must have missed my question.' Wasn't your question:

I thought I answered this question when I said:
> With the exception of a couple of 'vi over SSH' changes to the LIVE
> site (xml-site/targets/fop/), the FOP docs have not been updated
> recently. We are in dire need of update.

In other words, until I get the xdocs/ back in the running, we aren't
updating our site unless I manually edit the files using vi. If
necessary, I could do your suggestion below, although I'll have to
reapply any changes to the 'working' xdocs/*.xml files (which isn't
really that big a deal).

Was there another question you had that I didn't answer? :-)

David Crossley wrote:
>>> For most websites it is entirely a manual operation.
>>> For example at "XML Commons" we do this:
>>> *) Edit the source at
>>> cvs://xml-commons/src/documentation/content/xdocs/*.xml
>>> *) Generate the site locally with whatever Forrest that
>>> the project has decided to use.
>>> *) Commit the HTML/PDF result to cvs://xml-site/targets/commons/
>>> *) Commit the edited source to
>>> cvs://xml-commons/src/documentation/content/xdocs/
>>>
>>> To publish the result, we have an automated cron job to
>>> do 'cvs update'. Otherwise we do it manually with
>>> ssh cvs.apache.org
>>> cd /www/xml.apache.org/commons
>>> cvs -q update -dP
>>
>> The Doc Mgmt page [1] has a forrestbot interface which makes
>> PUBLISHing
>> fairly simple.
>
> Yes, it will be wonderful when we finally get a forrestbot at ASF.
> --
> David Crossley

Yes that will. What is prohibiting that? Is there anything I
(we--either the FOP Team or someone else from the Forrest Team) can do
to help?

BTW, thank you for your attention on this issue. I look forward to
resolving it, and with the help of you and the rest of the Forrest Team
it doesn't seem like too much of a challenge!

Web Maestro Clay

p.s. I hope you don't mind that I married this issue with our previous
issue on the dev list, but I figured I'd like to complete 'both'
issues, and I'd rather hash this out on the dev@ list. It's my feeling
that this is more dev-related anyway.
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>