forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Adding background info to forrest docs
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:33:51 GMT
On Oct 3, 2004, at 6:24 AM, Sean Wheller wrote:
> I think that a person who has had experience with cocoon will find it
> easier
> to get started customizing forrest. I went back and did some reading on
> pipelines, generating, transforming, serializing and matching from the
> cocoon
> project. That helped to fill in the gaps I had.
>
> Perhaps it would be worthwhile to add such background to the forrest
> docs.
> Like myself, many people will try forrest first and possible come
> across the
> same problem with understanding how things hang together.
>
> If people in dev agree I will create a brief background for first
> timers like
> me.

I'd really enjoy that! Realizing that it helps to understand how Cocoon
works, I've spent some time going to the cocoon site[1], but had
trouble understanding how to read the Cocoon docs. They're Wiki format
according to the version, and module. I had trouble and didn't find it
very intuitive. Perhaps it might help to have links to relevant
portions of the Cocoon documentation from their respective Forrest
counterparts (e.g., when discussing Forrest pipelines, a link to Cocoon
pipelines docs would help).

One other link I've found useful and think perhaps others might too, is
the "How to Read W3C Specs: A List Apart"[2].

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
http://cocoon.apache.org/
[2]