forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Should plugins have their own property files? (was Re: Forrest OpenOffice.org plugin)
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:33:32 GMT
On Oct 6, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> One other thing I thought of, was the ability to add (configurable in
>> forrest.properties) a bug/button on OOo translated documents along
>> the lines of the Standard OpenOffice.org Button - small on this page:
>> http://ooodocs.sourceforge.net/graphics/banners/index.html
>
> This is a good idea, however, I'm not sure it should be configurable
> in forrest.properties since t is only relevant to sites using the open
> office plugin. The same could be said of the target screen resolution
> we will use for scaling images. Perhaps we need a
> "openOffice.properties".
>
> There are a few other things that would be relevant in there. For
> example, the enhancements in the zip on the issue tracker includes the
> ability to handle style information contained in the office document.
> But this overrides the default styles in the skin. This will be a bad
> thing in many cases (back to mixing display logic with content), but
> required in others. My original plan was to make it configurable (this
> is the reason I never committed to Forrest, I never got the time to
> make it configurable).
>
> I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not as it means we are creating
> even more configuration files. What are peoples thoughts on this?
>
> Ross

Supplying plugins with their own *.properties files makes sense to me,
if they're to be distributed separately. One could argue that the
information could be placed in the forrest.properties file, but I'm of
the mind that conf files should have all the possible options embedded
in the file (a la httpd.conf)... So the file will probably be placed
here:

plugins/OpenOffice.org/OpenOffice.org.properties

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>