forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject AW: AW: Plugins in SVN
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:35:14 GMT
> Does the fact you can checkout individual portions of tree deal with
> your "checkout one plugin" issue?

Yes - didnĀ“t knew that.

> Access control per plugin is a good point, but at this stage
> I imagine
> all Forrest committers will get write access to all plugins.
> That could
> change in the future (and equally likely we may want to give write
> access to a plugin but not to Forrest). However, there is
> considerable
> work in managing this access control etc. and at this stage I would
> imagine we would stick to across the board committer access.
>
> Also don't forget that plugins need not be hosted here at
> Forrest, they
> can be hosted elsewhere too, with independent access control and
> committer rights (even licenses)
>
> Independent release cycles are still possible with one folder
> per plugin
> in a plugins module if each plugin has its own build file. In
> fact this
> would seem like a good argument for one module, multiple sub
> directories. We can then provide a module build file that
> will build all
> plugins in one command, or we can go into an individual
> plugin dir and
> just build that one.

I suggest providing two buildfiles:
- build.xml:  master file iterating over all modules
- common.xml: define the build targets

Each module then has its own buildfile, maybe only with
build.xml
  <project name="module-eclipse">
      <!-- 'overwrite' properties from common here -->
      <import file="../common.xml"/>
      <!-- 'overwrite' paths from common here -->
  </project>

Jan