forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject DocBook and numeric entity declaration (was Re: xml-fop Build Failed)
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:37:51 GMT
Forgive me but portions of this e-mail have been cross-posted...

On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> I am downloading the fop cvs and I am getting a diferent error:
>
> validate-xdocs:
> /home/cheche/xml/xml-fop/src/documentation/content/xdocs/DnI/
> properties.xml:2245:39: The entity "rarr" was referenced, but not
> declared.
>
> Do you know much about this?
>
> Cheers,
> Cheche

I've found out a little more about this problem. Apparently Forrest (or
Cocoon?) is not properly validating DocBook character entities. There
may be a couple of reasons for this

Here's the most recent msg[1] I sent to fop-dev on the subject:

On Oct 20, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Simon Pepping wrote:
 > Clay,
 >
 > I am a bit surprised. The docbook dtd clearly defines the entity
 > &rarr; in iso-num.ent:
 > <!ENTITY rarr       "&#x2192;"> <!-- RIGHTWARDS DOUBLE ARROW -->
 > Why does not the forrest build see this? Does it not read the DTD?
 >
 > I do not like character entities in decimal numbers. I can never
 > figure out what they refer to. IMO character codes should be given in
 > hexadecimal notation; all Unicode documentation uses this. Then it
 > becomes &#x2192; as shown above.
 >
 > Regards, Simon

Changing &rarr; to &#x2192; is an acceptable solution. The xml-fop
/forrest/ build does not error out when it tries to validate
'properties.xml'. I made the change and checked it in.

I'd also like to resolve the error in Forrest if possible, so the rest
of this POST deals with that.

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that properties.xml
references a dtd like this:

<!--
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
                           "docbookx.dtd">
-->

A couple of things I note here:
1. It's commented out
2. this is a relative/local link, but the 'docbookx.dtd' is not local
     (I also tried
'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd'
     and 'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/' and as expected
neither
     works.)
3. fwiw, iso-num.ent is at
     http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/ent/iso-num.ent

I'm not very 'up' on DocBook, so this may be how it's 'supposed' to
work. Nevertheless, &rarr; is the only thing in 'properties.xml' that
doesn't validate during the /forrest/ run (unless I replace &rarr; with
&#8594; or &#x2192;).

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=109839392707948&w=2