forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Help FOR-308
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:10:28 GMT
On Oct 5, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> On Oct 5, 2004, at 12:48 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> One of the things being tried out that this new copyless behaviour
>>> has enabled is the creation of Forrest plugins. I recently started a
>>> branch to explore this aspect. The idea is to simplify the core
>>> Forrest sitemaps by stripping out all the non-essential stuff like
>>> the docbook support. INstead we will have a docbook plugin.
>>>
>>> This is *very* early stage work, but if, when you feel comfortable
>>> enough, you fancy helping me extract the docbook stuff into a plugin
>>> that would be a very good test of the system.
>>>
>>> Ross
>> I understand the OOo support would move to this plugin as well. I
>> like the idea of having all of the OOo/DocBook/whatever things in one
>> convenient place. Should make it easier to get in and make
>> modifications, if necessary.
>
> Yes, OOo support is the first I want to move, mainly because I have a
> number of enhancements to it (for example Impress support) but my app
> is somewhat out of sync with the current Forrest HEAD, so I have to do
> some work there anyway.

We're not talking miles (kilometers I can handle!) away from HEAD are
we? :-)

>> For example, I'd like to see Forrest be able to take a .sxw file with
>> *embedded* pictures, and output the appropriate HTML & PDF files.
>
> Actually, that is one of the enhancements I have made - care to help
> me do the plugin?

Erm... Yeah! I'd also like to play around with the Headings... I trust
you saw my previous post today. Does that XSL make sense?

>> The HTML files would take screenshots and 'shrink' images down to a
>> max size for placement on a page (e.g., max
>> WIDTHxHEIGHT=640x480--user configurable, of course), and if the image
>> is larger, provide a jump-link (configurable) to the image. The PDF
>> would embed the highest resolution available for the image, but would
>> also shrink it to 'fit' on the page.
>
> Not that advanced yet, but embedded images do work in a basic way.
>
> Ross

Great! The problem of images/ vs. ../../../resources/images/ just bit
me. I'm looking for a workaround, and if I can just use embedded
images, that would be a nice start!
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>