forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: rev 56151 - in forrest/trunk: . etc etc/applied_patches etc/cocoon_upgrade forrestcore forrestcore/etc forrestcore/lib forrestcore/src/core forrestcore/src/core/bin forrestcore/tools/ant forrestcore/tools/dtdconverters forrestcore/tools/jetty forrestcore/tools/targets lib lib/core lib/endorsed lib/optional tools/ant tools/ant/bin tools/ant/lib tools/dtdconverters tools/jetty tools/targets
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:31:32 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Author: nicolaken
>>> Date: Sun Oct 31 13:14:02 2004
>>> New Revision: 56151
>>>
>>> Added:
>>>    forrest/trunk/etc/
>>>       - copied from rev 56137, forrest/trunk/forrestcore/etc/
>>

>>>    forrest/trunk/lib/
>>>       - copied from rev 56137, forrest/trunk/forrestcore/lib/
>>

>>>    forrest/trunk/tools/ant/
>>>       - copied from rev 56137, forrest/trunk/forrestcore/tools/ant/
>>

>> ... etc
>>
>> Care to explain what you're doing, and why?
>

> Sorry, I tried to do only one commit for all but had problems. It's part
> of this commit:
>
>  "Move global-needed resources in the base forrest directory."
>
> That means _moving_ legal, lib, etc and tools in the base Forrest dir.

I didn't realize that comment was the key to all this.  I now understand
why you're doing it, but I'm not sure I agree.  See below..

> I'm also getting ready to move the bin dir in the root (as already
> discussed).

There's more than one way to do this :-)  I think forrestcore/bin would
hold the shell scripts and we can keep most other files where there are.
   Again, see below..

> It shows a "copy" but there is also a "delete" after that.

Yeah, that's what a "move" equates to.

>> The move of 'legal' you made earlier is okay, I suppose.
>

> Are the other moves not ok? IMHO they are a natural part of the
> restructure we voted, that's why I'm doing it.

Nobody mentioned legal, lib, etc, or ant in the restructuring threads.

I had understood the restructuring to be so that our subprojects could
be independent of each other, and your changes are reverting that.  As a
TLP we can be composed solely of related subprojects (like XML or
Jakarta does) with no master project.  Some advantages to this would be:
* seperate, smaller releases (we can still do one giant release if we want)
* you can check out just "forrestcore" from SVN or just "forrestbot" for
example, and keep the others at a stable release
* easier to manage jar dependencies (what if subprojects need different
versions?)
* common files at the top of our SVN tree instead of within subprojects
can be confusing, especially if they don't relate to some subprojects

Disadvantages:
* some jar files will be duplicated within subprojects
* some subprojects do depend on files from forrestcore.  Using
$FORREST_HOME to locate it should work, but might be a pain sometimes.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming