forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] How to move the skins into a plugin? Plans for leather-dev/corium
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:35:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

<snip/>

>> The idea is to move the skins into a plugin like the OpenOffice.org
>> plugin. BTW I reckon we have to capsulate the pdf into a plugin for its
>> own. IMO it should be not in the skin. IMO this part will need some
>> loving care in the future. ;-) I reckon we can call it fo-plugin.
>>
>> The skin-plugin should be the main plugin for all skin related issues.
>> It is what I would refer to as top level plugin that can host
>> different sub-plugins. This way it should be possible to reuse our
>> skin-functinality even better and more efficient.
>

> Wait a second, we already have this, but it's not called plugin.
>
> Every skin can make it's *own* fo (->PDF) output stylesheets, and is not
> found it uses the common templates. How is this lacking now?

I think Thorsten is proposing that we should be able to replace the PDF
portion of a skin without the need to copy over the XHTML portion
(admittedly the XHTML portion would be a series of xsl:includes but it
still requires work).

>> That leads me to generaly override certain parts of the skin. I would
>> like to add an overriding mechanism like this
>>
>> <extra-xhtml>
>> <!--e.g. some jscripts need to be in the head of the xhtml doc-->
>>  <xhead>
>>   <xscripts/>
>>   <extra-css>
>>    <css-override name="branding" src="scale.css">
>>   </extra-css>
>>  <xhead>
>> <!--e.g. some jscripts need to be in the body-->
>>  <xbody>
>>   <xscripts/>
>>  </xbody>
>> </extra-xhtml>
>>
>> This could be used to parse extra parts into the skin in easy way.
>> With that mechanism it will be as well possible to realize that
>> certain parts of the site can be different form other. Trying to say
>> it fuels the individuality of the skin without the need to write
>> xslt-templates.
>

> Hmmm, recreating XSLT?

I read this differently, to me it says "enabling *users* to insert stuff
into their generated pages without the need to edit XSLT". For example,
WYSIWYG editing scripts could be inserted into the <xscripts> element.
This is even more powerful if I can provide a regular expression stating
which pages it should/should not be inserted into.

 From a non-dynamic perspective, how about inserting some meta tags that
Forrest does not currently support.

>> That makes it easy to offer the personal skin *without* writing (copy
>> n' paste) a new skin and change only some functions, css and skellton
>> elements. Even better we can use the #forrest.skins.descriptors
>> approch for that. :)
>

> Have you not tried the current system?

Yes, and I do not believe it is as flexible as Thorsten is proposing.
Currently if I want to add a footer to my PDF files I have to copy a
whole skin and edit the FO XSL's. With Thorstens proposal I would simply
need to edit a FO skin-plugin and not touch the XHTML portion. From a
users perspective I think this makes things much easier, from a dev
perspective it means I don't have to keep my slightly modified skin in
sync with the developments here in Forrest.

Ross