forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <>
Subject Re: [RT] How to move the skins into a plugin? Plans for leather-dev/corium
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:12:54 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hello devs,
> I have not really had a deep look into our new plugin mechanism but I
> really like the idea of having atomic parts in forrest. Maybe everything
> that follows is not possible yet but I reckon that it will be. ;-)
> The idea is to move the skins into a plugin like the
> plugin. BTW I reckon we have to capsulate the pdf into a plugin for its
> own. IMO it should be not in the skin. IMO this part will need some
> loving care in the future. ;-) I reckon we can call it fo-plugin.
> The skin-plugin should be the main plugin for all skin related issues.
> It is what I would refer to as top level plugin that can host different
> sub-plugins. This way it should be possible to reuse our
> skin-functinality even better and more efficient.

PDF (via FO) generation already uses values from skinconfig.  It will
continue to do so even more.  Probably most of the settings are
different than those used for HTML generation, but there are (or can be)
a few common ones (such as project name, copyright, etc).  Any solution
relating to skins needs to be capable of applying skinconfig values to
any output format.  Much of this will probably depend on the new
skinconfig format (which needs to be revised in light of output-plugins).

It is also possible to have different skins for PDF output.  Why not?
Or different skins for SVG output.  Or TXT output.  Just because most of
our skinning is for HTML currently doesn't mean that is all we need to
think about.

I like your ideas; moving stuff skinnable output into plugins will make
Forrest much more powerful and flexible.

Dave Brondsema : : programming : student org : personal

View raw message