forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject A last ditch attempt to encourage an obviously capable developer
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:41:51 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> At present, without consensus and commitment to move to XHTML now, I no longer
> see any point of speaking about this pipeline.

Sean, I'm sorry you feel that way. I had hoped you would try our way
long enough to understand how it works and why it is the best way.

As a project we have committed to move to XHTML2. I was hoping that your
work would help myself and others drive that forward (in fact it has see
Nicola Kens RT).

But please, at least read this email before going:

I just spent 15 minutes putting together a sample plugin to try and show
you how this works. I assure you I spent only 15 minuted on this - it's
amazing how powerful Forrest is when you get to know it, if you trust us
you will grow to love it too.

This quick plugin loads the page
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch02.html in a forrest generated site
with no data loss (although I have not proof read in detail, only scanned).

I chose this page because I assume that it was generated from Docbook
using the Docbook stylesheets.

I have not done any work on the styling as I don't want to waste my time
if you are not on board. But if you are on board and can provide
examples of the problems you encounter I am happy to help you.

We are are small, but very collaborative bunch. If you find all the devs
are in agreement you have to assume we are right. If on the other hand
you are correct with your approach you will find at least one of the
devs arguing with you (remember I have agreed that the use of docbooks
fo stylesheets is sensible until we get to XHTML2).

What I am saying is that we can do what you want to do *now* with
minimal effort, but you have to work with us until you know Forrest well
enough to start changing the way we do things.

If you are at all interested, here's how to get the plugin working:

- cd forrestcore
- svn up (I made a couple of small changes to html2document.xsl)
- download
http://www.apache.org/~rgardler/testingGround/forrestPlugins/XHTMLDemo.zip
- unpack above zip in forrestcore/plugins (this has to be done manually
as I have not published the plugin)
- cd forrestcore/plugins/XHTMLDemo/docs
- forrest run
- http://localhost:8888

(Note you cannot navigate the site or follow relative links because I
have hacked the sitemap to always show this page, if you want to test on
other pages simply change the URL in the sitemap for the plugin and
refresh the browser window).

So can we start again, or do you still think you have a better
alternative, if you prefer to work on your own alternatives that is
fine, I know I have tried my hardest.

Ross