forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Changing Forrest development priorities
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:41:36 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> As we all have seen, Sean has come in like a hurricane :-) , given us
> good ideas, and is willing to help in scratching his itches with us.
>
> There is a problem though. We risk losing this collaboration because of
> priority mismatch in goals.
>
> He needs to use DocBook. We personally don't, but would be happy to have
> that support and understand that we could use many stylesheets that
> DocBook enthusiasts have done.
>
> In Jira there is a roadmap that highlights the things to do for 0.7 and
> 0.8, and IMHO it has to change.
>
> What about this for a course of action:
>
> Goals for 0.7:
>  - switch to XHTML2
>  - plugins

+1.  If we want people to start using and creating plugins, they should
be XHTML2 plugins, not document-v12 plugins that have to reswizzled to
XHTML2 plugins a few versions later.

> Goals for 0.8:
>  - locationmap
>  - fix and make better internals
>
> Goals for 0.9:
>  - finalize leather skin and switch to that
>  - enhancements and features

0.9 doesn't have to be our last pre-1.0 release.  Who knows what good
ideas may come in the future to warrant 0.10 and 0.11?

Also, I think we *really* need to release more often.  Our last release
took way too long.  Given a stable codebase, we should release more like
every 6 months.  I hate to see it where we have to recommend the SVN
version because the latest release is so old.

Nov 2002 - 0.2
Dec 2003 - 0.3
Jan 2003 - 0.4
Sep 2003 - 0.5