forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: To script or not to script
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:08:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> I am working on a plugin to allow WYSIWYG editing of XHTML files. In
>> order to do this we have to use Scripts.
>>
>> I checked to see what the consensus was on scripts before making
>> changes to DocumentV2 to allow them (my understanding is that anything
>> that is OK in the XHTML2 subset we will use can go into DocumentV2)
>>
>> I found this:
>>
>> "We don't have to use all modules, and in fact we wouldn't.
>>
>> - Scripts we keep out."
>>
>> from http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102909917505608&w=2
>>
>> Is this still the opinion of most devs even given the above use case?
>

> We kinda want to make it possible for users to publish a static site
> that does not contain javascript.

Yes, this makes total sense and I still support that goal. However, now
we have plugins we can separate them into "static site" and "dynamic
site" plugins, so I beleive we can afford to relax this restriction.

> This has nothing to do with a cool XHTML WYSIWYG editing plugin, that
> cannot live without scripts :-)

As it happens, after posting this I realised I didn't have to put the
stuff in Head I could move it to the body and our existing interpreted
HTML solution allows this.

Ross