forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Solving matching problems caused by plugins
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:07:12 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

>> David Crossley wrote:
>>

>>> It mostly works now, but building our own docs and building
>>> the test site shows some other related new bug. I can only
>>> describe the symptoms at this stage ...
>>

>>> ------ from 'forrest seed site' ...
>>>   <link message="...content/xdocs/samples/ihtml-sample.xml
>>> (No such file or directory)" uri="samples/ihtml-sample.html">
>>>
>>>   <link message="...content/xdocs/samples/wiki-sample.xml
>>> (No such file or directory)" uri="samples/wiki-sample.html">
>>> ------
>>>
>>> ... those two indicate that the special filetype tests
>>> in forrest.xmap at line 234 are not being triggered.
>

> These should really be extracted to a plugin which will solve the
> problem. I think that the only thing that should be left in Forrest is
> the handling of our intermediate format (this will be plural when we
> move to XHTML2).
>
> Dues anyone have a problem with that?

I think that's the right idea.  Lots of stuff can be moved to be a
plugin.  For example, changes/todo.html as a plugin would make that
functionality optional and so people can use those reserveds names.

I haven't tried yet.. does the plugin location allow for input formats
and output formats?  Is it in a location that wholesite could be in a
plugin?

We will also have to document a "plugin contract" of what pipeline parts
will be made available and supported.  I think we have need to work
through some more real examples of plugins before we fully understand
their power and limitations.  Then we can best write the contract.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming