forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with sitemap.xmap - Docbook Plugin
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:54:28 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2004 16:46, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Sean Wheller wrote:
>>
>>>On Friday 29 October 2004 16:12, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>>
>>>Why do we want to transform to document?
>>>
>>>Perhaps you misunderstood. We want to take XHMTL and add that to the
>>>aggregation and finally get a web site.
>>>Docbook XML -> XHTML1.0
>>
>>As I, and others, was trying to explain to you in our very very long
>>thread, this is not how we do it.
>

> Yes, we know how it is done today, but I thought we all agreed that this
> plug-in would take us in the direction of XHTML1.0. :-((

No, XHTML2 will be the intermediate format, right now it is DocumentV1.2.

We will not be moving to XHTML1 and then to XHTML2, it is wasted effort.

Forrest already has a mechanism for handling XHTML1, why change it when
it creates more work?

> Theoretically what I am proposing should not be that hard,

As has been pointed out many times before, if you bypass the
intermediate format you will lose the skinning capability.

> I just don't have
> enough experience with Forrest and Cocoon to make it work without help.

Humour me and try it my way (I am *trying* to help).

It will take you less time to see if it works than it will to try and
convince me I am wrong, I *may* be wrong, but clearly I my experience
with Forrest makes me think I am right.

Code that does not work will convince me, more words will not (haven't
we wasted enough of those already?) To quote Nicola's signature "- verba
volant, scripta manent - (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)".

What you need to do is this:

- convert your docbook files to XHTML1 using your stylesheets
- convert your XHTML1 to XDoc (using html2docbook.xsl)
- serialize this as XML

Forrest will do the rest.

(There is likely to be a little work getting it to work properly but it
*will* work. If it doesn't you will have only wasted whatever time you
use trying it out and I will be proven wrong and therefore willing to
help you find another way).

>>If you convert the XHTML1 to our internal format (which will become
>>XHTML2) it will then be incorporatewd into the site in the same way as
>>any other document (see the "intepreted HTML" example in a freshely
>>seeded site. This we will give us all the skinning and benefits of Forrest.
>

> And we will have information loss? I cannot afford information loss. I need a
> solution.

No - look at the example I referred to, then when you see what it does
try the above (I refer to archives and examples for good reason-
probably best if you follow them since they will help develop your
understanding of Forrest)

Ross