forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of IMSManifest plugin
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:26:18 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:

>>>My only concern is that it would end up unmaintained.  I am not familiar
>>>with IMSManifests or Learning Objects, and it seems that it is not a
>>>very common tool (yet).  I don't know of anybody here besides you, Ross,
>>>that could support it.
>>
>>It may not be a common tool in your environment, but trust me it is a
>>*very* common tool in the world of Learning Objects (or Content Packages
>>as many prefer to call them since any kind of training material such as
>>documentation can be stored within them). Take a look at any commercial
>>Virtual Learning Environment and it will support the IMS standards, of
>>course the Open Source ones support it to0 (see http://www.atutor.ca,
>>http://www.webct.com. http://www.blackboard.com for three of the most
>>commonly found products).

Okay :-)  We use BlackBoard here at Calvin College.  It isn't the
greatest software, but I'll have to look in to this Learning Object
stuff some more.

>>These tools are in use in most Universities and many schools/colleges
>>across the world. All can export their content using the IMS standards.
>>When exported these Learning Objects  are often stored in repositories
>>of such objects for re-use across different domains. This reuse stuff is
>>not that widely spread as yet, but it is growing in importance daily.
>>
>>This plugin is the first step towards making Forrest able to access such
>>repositories. It is my belief that this plugin will entice new
>>developers and users to Forrest. Those developers will assist with the
>>support of the IMSManifest plugin.
>

> I did hear someone else on the list express interest
> already, when they realised that it would help with
> learning objects. That is a good point about attracting
> new developers from that community.
>

>>I am committed to supporting it 100% as are the other members of the
>>originating project - although that is not a large community. However, I
>>do accept your point that at this point in time, there is only me.
>>Fortunately, with the new plugin functionality it really doesn't matter
>>if I keep it within the Burrokeet project or bring it here, it will be
>>available to Forrest users and devs either way.
>>
>>If others share your concern, or do not feel this is in keeping with
>>Forrests goals I won't be offended, I'm just asking if it is something
>>useful here.
>

> It is definitely in scope for Forrest.
>
> Support for all of our code is a valid concern.
> Perhaps we should give all such things a chance here.
>
> We could continually monitor the health of plugins
> and if they don't get attention, then deprecate them.
> The code would still be in our SVN history if someone
> later wanted to resurrect them elsewhere.

Yeah, if we did this I think it'd be fine.  I'm just remembering recent
times when skins were unmaintained.  I'm not saying it'll happen for
IMSManifest, but it'll happen with some plugins for sure.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming