forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of IMSManifest plugin
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:37:23 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> As I have mentioned numerous times before, I have a plugin that
>> replaces  site.xml and tabs.xml with an IMSManifest file. This is a
>> standard format file for Learning Objects, but is also very useful for
>> more general content objects.
>>

> My only concern is that it would end up unmaintained.  I am not familiar
> with IMSManifests or Learning Objects, and it seems that it is not a
> very common tool (yet).  I don't know of anybody here besides you, Ross,
> that could support it.

It may not be a common tool in your environment, but trust me it is a
*very* common tool in the world of Learning Objects (or Content Packages
as many prefer to call them since any kind of training material such as
documentation can be stored within them). Take a look at any commercial
Virtual Learning Environment and it will support the IMS standards, of
course the Open Source ones support it to0 (see http://www.atutor.ca,
http://www.webct.com. http://www.blackboard.com for three of the most
commonly found products).

These tools are in use in most Universities and many schools/colleges
across the world. All can export their content using the IMS standards.
When exported these Learning Objects  are often stored in repositories
of such objects for re-use across different domains. This reuse stuff is
not that widely spread as yet, but it is growing in importance daily.

This plugin is the first step towards making Forrest able to access such
repositories. It is my belief that this plugin will entice new
developers and users to Forrest. Those developers will assist with the
support of the IMSManifest plugin.

I am committed to supporting it 100% as are the other members of the
originating project - although that is not a large community. However, I
do accept your point that at this point in time, there is only me.
Fortunately, with the new plugin functionality it really doesn't matter
if I keep it within the Burrokeet project or bring it here, it will be
available to Forrest users and devs either way.

If others share your concern, or do not feel this is in keeping with
Forrests goals I won't be offended, I'm just asking if it is something
useful here.

Ross