forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Accept donation of IMSManifest plugin
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:37:23 GMT
As I have mentioned numerous times before, I have a plugin that replaces
  site.xml and tabs.xml with an IMSManifest file. This is a standard
format file for Learning Objects, but is also very useful for more
general content objects.

The benefits of using this plugin are:

- tools available for editing

- allows content generated by Forrest to be imported into standards
compliant Learning Management systems (doesn't work out of the box with
this plugin, but is working in the donor project - this will be ported
to this plugin when time allows or when someone elses itch is strong
enough to move it from our CVS to this plugin)

- defacto standard

The disadvantages are:

- not easily edited (tools needed)

Future direction:

This plugin forms the first stage of enabling Learning Objects to be
imported into Forrest sites.

---

The plugin can be examined by adding XMLManifest to the
project.required.plugins property, a sample site using this plugin is
available in the docs section of the plugin (download from
http://www.apache.org/~rgardler/testingGround/forrestPlugins/IMSManifest.zip).

A more complete demo site is available from
http://www.apache.org/~rgardler/testingGround/forrestPlugins/demoIMSSite.zip

This code was developed as part of the Burrokeet.org project
(http://www.burrokeet.org ) and is currently licensed under the MIT
license. I am the copyright holder and will assign such copyrights to
Apache as usual.

If Forrest would prefer I am happy to house this plugin at the Burrokeet
project site (on Sourceforge).

Ross