forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Including Plugin documentation in Forrest website
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:11:21 GMT

Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:14:27 +0100, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Am I still going in the wrong direction? I have no problem with it
>>> staying in the IMSManifest plugin, just wanting to know if it has a
>>> wider use.
>>

>> I think its a **great** thought, and will definitely go a long way in
>> making Forrest a mature product. There are many many more use cases
>> that can be thought of, but the ones you list make a representative
>> list. But I'll add just another one:
>>
>> Consider the computer science department of a University. The systems
>> people maintain their own webpage, the theory guys maintain their own
>> (do they??!), the vision people their own. The CS webadmins then
>> simply can use Forrest to plug-in these separate websites to create an
>> integrated website for the department.
>>
>> I'm +1 on the 2) approach -- this should be core forrest
>> functionality. Further, I have a feeling that (like IMSManifest) any
>> plugin that does this would not be able to provide fine grained
>> control over site.xml and tabs.xml (atleast not easily).
>>

> Yeah I think it's a fine idea.  Is it really related to IMSManifests?
> Would it be better as it's own plugin?  Or would it even be better as
> part of core forrest.. I'm not sure how much change it would require.

I *think* I can extract it from the IMS Manifest plugin, its just that
the project I built it for (don't worry I own the copyrights)we needed
to use IMS Manifests, hence that is where it is at the moment.

> But for our need of documenting plugins, lets go the simple route.  If
> we need to use this feature in the future, we can, but I don't see the
> need now.

I may just be being lazy here (not a good reason to force the point).
The (minimal) docs I have written/copied for the plugins are already in
the individual plugins. I think I may just be trying to avoid a little
work ;-)

Ross