forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Including Plugin documentation in Forrest website
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:03:01 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:14:27 +0100, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Am I still going in the wrong direction? I have no problem with it
>>staying in the IMSManifest plugin, just wanting to know if it has a
>>wider use.
>

> I think its a **great** thought, and will definitely go a long way in
> making Forrest a mature product. There are many many more use cases
> that can be thought of, but the ones you list make a representative
> list. But I'll add just another one:
>
> Consider the computer science department of a University. The systems
> people maintain their own webpage, the theory guys maintain their own
> (do they??!), the vision people their own. The CS webadmins then
> simply can use Forrest to plug-in these separate websites to create an
> integrated website for the department.
>
> I'm +1 on the 2) approach -- this should be core forrest
> functionality. Further, I have a feeling that (like IMSManifest) any
> plugin that does this would not be able to provide fine grained
> control over site.xml and tabs.xml (atleast not easily).

Yeah I think it's a fine idea.  Is it really related to IMSManifests?
Would it be better as it's own plugin?  Or would it even be better as
part of core forrest.. I'm not sure how much change it would require.

But for our need of documenting plugins, lets go the simple route.  If
we need to use this feature in the future, we can, but I don't see the
need now.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming