forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Including Plugin documentation in Forrest website
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:24:48 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Background
> ==========
>
> Way back in February I described a use case for building sites from
> other sites. Nicola Ken joined the discussion saying he had a similar
> need for the Incubator site. Now the issue seems to have arisen again
> with the possible use of Forrest as an Apache wide publishing system.
>
> The original thread starts at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107652065930310&w=2
>
> Nicola jumps in here
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107657256318416&w=2 (which
> is where it starts to get focused, as usual ;-)
>
> Why Now?
> ========
>
> The need for this functionality is now upon Forrest itself. With the
> creation of plugins it is now necessary to provide information on the
> Forrest site about the available plugins.
>
> We could maintain a list of plugins within src/documentation, but this
> is wasteful as each plugin should come with its own documentation and
> examples, so why duplicate effort? In addition it is hoped that other
> projects will develop plugins for Forrest. We need a technique that
> means we can automatically include details about their plugins on our
> site without the need to maintain them ourselves.

If we just want a simple page listing the available plugins and their
descriptions, we can pull the info from plugins.xml and do a
transformation to document-v13.  This would be much like what we can do
for integrating an RSS feed although the transformation details would be
different.
(off-topic: we should probably make the plugins.xml DTD external)

For full documentation pages of plugins that come available with
forrest, I think we can just document those using regular pages as part
of forrest's normal documentation.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming