forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: build system
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:51:59 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
>  Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>Another alternative to consider is to use a real scripting language instead of
>>Ant to do our builds.  In my experience with skin fetching, ant simply isn't
>>designed to do the things we want to do.  I am not familiar with python, but I
>>think it would be a good candidate.
>

> Is Ant able to call a python script to do certain tasks?

Ant can embed scripting.  I can't believe I forgot about this.  I've
used rhino (a Javascript implementation in Java) at work to do this.  It
can be a real pain to debug because it's embedded, but it does make
stuff easier.

See http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/script.html (and
scriptdef and macrodef).

It looks like python, java, groovy, and other less popular languages are
supported.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming